The Virginia Gazette

Today in the 1770s: October 13

WILLIAMSBURG, October 13, 1774.
JAMES GEDDY, GOLDSMITH, Near the Church, Williamsburg, Has just imported from London a genteel assortment of PLATE and JEWELLERY; he has likewise on hand all sorts of country made GOLD and SILVERWORK, which he will sell at lower rates than usual. Old SILVER taken in exchange for new work, at 7s. per ounce, and GOLD at 5 l. 5s. He repairs his own work, that fails in a reasonable time, without any expence to the purchaser.

Virginia Gazette (Pinkney) October 13, 1774

About this entry:

James Geddy at various times, advertised himself as a silversmith, goldsmith and watchmaker. Gold and silversmiths were always on the lookout for materials to work with. Coins were collected and melted down to make items. Patrons might also bring in their own gold or silver to be fashioned into a new object. He was specific in his ads about the location of his shop "near the church" away from the commercial end of town near the Capitol. The proximity to Market Square, the Court House and the Governor's Palace allowed him to carry on a successful business until he moved to Dinwiddie County in 1777. Today, the Geddy House is one of 88 original buildings in Colonial Williamsburg and has been the subject of extensive achaeological investigations. Learn more about James Geddy and his shop.

Sources: CWRR, Bullock, T. Silversmithing

Brought to you by the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation